Wednesday, February 18, 2015

One Hour Wargames; Another Look

      Living in Massachusetts the last couple of weeks has been a cycle of snow shoveling followed by snowstorms after you're finished shoveling from the last storm. And as part of my job requires snow removal, followed by going home to clear snow from my house, I haven't had much energy to work on wargaming.

      This week my wife and I are on vacation. During yesterdays snowstorm, while looking through the various war-game blogs, I realized that Neil Thomas' ONE HOUR WARGAMES is being used quite a bit by gamers.  While not everyone is using the rules themselves, the scenarios and army selection rules seem to be used by most gamers.  Also, on one of the Yahoo war-game forums I belong to, I have come across several variants that seem to hold a lot of promise. I also spent some time looking through my Minifigs 15mm 1st generation Napoleonics, and as I have quite a few of them, might temporarily base them to use with ONE HOUR WARGAMES.




One reason I like the 1st generation Minifigs are the Command figures. Above are some of the generals I've managed to get.

4 comments:

  1. Just bought a copy myslef, so I look forward to seeing how your project progresses. Great old figures there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I few years ago I traded some Peter Laing figures for a very large collection of 1st generation Napoleonic Russians. If the project proceeding one army will be Russian.

      Delete
  2. Must look these up. I'm all for that approach, and use the gridded/Morschauser/Cordery rules. The little minifigs look good - were these the ones that came on strips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played a couple of games using a OHW scenario and Bob Corderys' rules. Of course the games were fun. But if I used the OHW rules would the games be as much fun? Even if the rules aren't as much fun, the scenarios are very useful and I like the rules pertaining to how armies are picked.

      Yes, the Minifigs are the old "strip" figures. When I first bought them in the 70's I paid 25 cents per strip.

      Delete