Friday, May 22, 2015

The Attention Span of a Goldfish

     On my job I spend a good part of the day driving by myself. I therefore listen to a lot of talk radio. This week one show mentioned that scientists believe that the average American, with all our technology, have less of an attention span of a goldfish; the goldfish having an attention span of 9 seconds as opposed to the average American attention span of 8 seconds. Why do I bring this up? My Austrian Army stands almost completed; I have started yet another project! No, not making molds or basing armies for ONE HOUR WARGAMES.  I have started sorting figures for a possible English Civil War war-game.  I recently received my copy of Neil Thomas' WARGAMES: AN INTRODUCTION and find myself thinking of a Pike and Shot war-game. However, besides the ECW,  Mr. Thomas gives the make up of several different Pike & Shot armies.  What's more, Ross Macfarlane gave me a sizable collection of Peter Laing Renaissance figures. However, my knowledge  of Renaissance armies is almost non existent.
     I had found myself laughing at the scientists; as mentioned above I now believe they are on to something. This is a three day weekend for me. My wife and I are going camping. Hopefully I can figure what I want to do next.  I fought a war-game last weekend (the second of my mini campaign); perhaps when we come back Monday I can get a report on the game done.

The start of the newest war-game.

6 comments:

  1. Renaissance warfare? Undoubtedly there will be many an up to date book on the subject, but surely Gorge Gush's classic Renaisance Warfare series in The Airfix Magazine from the mid-1970s is your first port of call. I wonder if it avaialable on the internet somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked it up in used book sites;n at $100.00 + I will have to keep looking.

      Delete
  2. edit...a few seonds later....http://home.mysoul.com.au/graemecook/Renaissance/RenaissanceWarfare-AirfixMagazineArticles.htm
    Modern technology - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tends to be expensive as it's out of print, but the same series (I think with some additional materials?) was also published as "Renaissance Armies", as I remember under the Wargames Research Group label in the late 1970's. Sadly my copy was stolen many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked on the used book sites I use ,at this time no copies are for sale. I will have to keep looking. I have several other WRG books that I bought on periods I had little knowledge in and found them invaluable.

      Delete
  4. John - I have various books on the period, including the Funcken set that covers medieval to Renaissance, quite a lot of Ospreys and others. If you are looking for something specific, let me know

    ReplyDelete