Sunday, August 20, 2017

A New Peter Laing Figure

    I won a lot of Peter Laing Boers on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. While looking at the photos, the Boer rifleman standing firing seemed to be wearing a frock coat.  When I received to order, the figures were not Boer riflemen, but what I believe Peter Laing F322; Rifleman hunting shirt, firing. While I would have liked the Boers, I must admit that receiving figures that are new to me more than makes up for any disappointment.

   As mentioned last time, I wanted to start rebasing my AWI Minifigs. I have got the washers off the painted figures (had a few close calls where I almost damaged the figures). I remounted the figures on 3/8"X 3/8" plastic squares.

    After several posting on Man of Tin and Wargame Miscellany about Heroscape, I pulled some of my Heroscape pieces to have a quick AWI wargame using my new C&C Tricorne dice. It was (Loosely) based on Bunker Hill. I  have been thinking of whither to use Heroscape or grids for my wargames. I came up with the simple solution; whatever I feel like using at the time. Problem solved!
Peter Laing F322: Rifleman hunting shirt, firing


The British army assaulting the rebels on Bunker Hill


The British light infantry tries to turn both flanks.

The British start suffering heavy losses.

The British grenadiers near the top of the picture manages to get into the rebel defenses. At the bottom of the picture, one unit of militia retreats and the Regulars have another breach in the line.

The British get the initiative roll and push another unit into an undefended part of the fortifications. Had the rebels won the roll, they were going to slide their line to defend against that very move.

The British have the rebels on the run, save two units that are nearly surrounded,  and the rebel leader.

In the real battle, once the militia broke, they fled the field of battle. However, this is my little world, so they rallied and charged forward. The rebel leader joins the isolated unit to  motivate them.

This is my "elite" unit of militia. I painted them wearing uniform clothing, after an old brochure I have from Old Sturbridge Village with a militiaman toasting on the front. Many years ago I painted some Esci Napoleonics as 1812 militia, using this same uniform. For this game I treated them as a Provincial unit.

The rebels force a couple of British units back.

The British wipes out the militiamen with the commander. What's more, they  direct deadly fire that all but destroys what's left of the rebel army.

The British grenadiers close in on the rebel leader. In the real battle one of the American leaders, Joseph Warren,  was killed as the rebel line fell. There is a famous painting showing a grenadier attempting to bayonet Joseph Warren. In the painting, a British officer is holding the barrel of the grenadier's musket, stopping him from bayoneting the already mortally wounded Warren.

6 comments:

  1. Peter Laing figures seem to have a certain style and feel that modern figures don't , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find newer figures tend to be large and stocky; I think they are made this way as the artists who make them try to cram as much detail onto the figures. Of course, one has to wonder how much detail one can see while standing several feet over the table. As I always point out, the details on PL figures are perfect for poor painters like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heroscape certainly suits those slim 15mm figures.
    The elite militia company look very smart in their green coats. Great looking game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments. With my new basing, I plan to mark the unit on the bottom of the base. The militia will remain blank, except this unit. The Peter Laing figures, being on the small side, do work well with the Heroscape terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello John, another example of how flexible Peter Laing figures are. And of how the monotone colour hex boards work well. Good looking game.
    Mark, Man of TIN blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to think how I will use these new Peter Laing figures. I got 6 of them so I don't have enough to make my usual units. For me, playing my wargames are more about the figures, the terrain is secondary. I have started giving the landscape more thought recently. You add simple terrain pieces to your Heroscape, but I find that adds so much to the looks of your game.

    ReplyDelete